Sunday, February 17, 2008

11 Things: Neal Cassady
Tim Sullivan
Thursday, February 7, 2008

Neal Cassady was many people to many people.
He was Dean Moriarty in Jack Kerouac's "On the
Road," the secret hero in Allen Ginsberg's "Howl"
and the driver of Ken Kesey's bus. He was also
John Allen Cassady's father. Following are 11
Things John wanted to relate about his dad.

1. Contrary to popular myth regarding his
reputation, my father did, indeed, have a family,
and he strove to be a good husband, father and
provider.

2. When the Merry Pranksters went on the famous
bus trip to New York, my mother (having no sense
of humor) insisted I go to school instead. She rightly
asked Neal not to glorify that lifestyle every time
he came by.

3. My father's mind was highly evolved, but he never
bragged or put others down.

4. They never intended to create the beat generation,
hippies or the anti-war movement, but I'm glad for the
seeds they planted.

5. No matter how much the Eisenhower and McCarthy
eras were oppressive, that period was a day at the beach
compared with what's going on now.

6. When Dad and Kesey rescued me and my sister from
high school to go see the Grateful Dead, they were in the
principal's office in white jump-suits, crazy hats and Day-Glo
orange Beatle boots. The principal said, "This man claims
to be your father!" We said, "Hey, what's up, Dad?" After
some signatures, they let us go (and it was the best Friday ever).

7. These bikers were about to lower the boom on some
kid for God knows what, and Dad jumped into the fray, saying,
"Here, have some gum!" All the bikers backed off, astonished.
"Here, have some gum," he kept saying in the middle of the circle
until the situation was defused. Kesey just watched in amazement.

8. I was sitting across from Ginsberg in our home around 1965.
He said, "Johnny, do you want to know a secret? The Beatles smoke
pot!" I said, "What's pot?" I'll never forget how crestfallen Ginsberg
looked when the scoop of the century was lost on me.

9. He named me after Kerouac and Ginsberg, but, at the last
minute, he changed "Jack" to "John." Years later, I asked Mom about
this. She said, "I asked him about that at the time, and he said, 'Well,
if you say it fast, it sounds like JackAssady and no one is going to
call my son a jackass all his life!' "

10. Of all the doors my father has opened to me, I would trade
them all to have him back.

11. John Allen Cassady and his sister Jami will be attending
the Third Annual Neal Cassady Birthday Bash this weekend.
10 a.m.-10 p.m. Sat.-Sun. The Beat Museum, 540 Broadway, S.F.
(415) 399-9626. www.thebeatmuseum.org.

No comments: